estate saleCurt Shilling is selling off hundreds of possessions in an estate sale Saturday in Medfield, as the former Red Sox pitcher battles with the loss of his personal fortune and a lawsuit after the bankruptcy of his video game company.

More than a hundred photos online detail some of the items for sale, including a 13-foot long dining table and chairs, a baby grand piano, an Asian tea set, toys and more.

However, Shilling’s infamous bloody sock from the 2004 World Series is not for sale. The sock was auctioned off in February for over $92,000, falling short of the projected price tag of more than $100,000, according to Reuters.

The sale, which the estate sale company ConsignWorks Inc. wrote on its site "will knock your Sox off!" is scheduled to take place from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. in Medfield. They did not respond to requests for comment.

The estate sale location, Schilling’s 8,000-square-foot Woodridge Road home, is also for sale for just under $3 million.

The home was initially listed at $3.45 million when it went on the market in September 2012. A representative from Century 21 Commonwealth said that there have been no accepted offers on the property, but that was likely due to overpricing the property when it was first put on the market.

The estate and property sales come little more than a year after Schilling’s video game company 38 Studios went bankrupt in June 2012.

The video game company laid off its entire staff in May 2012, shortly after missing a $1.4 million loan repayment and failing to make payroll.

Schilling told WEEI after the bankruptcy announcement that the company’s collapse cost him $50 million of his personal fortune.

"I put everything in my name in this company," Schilling told WEEI at the time. "It’s crushing and devastating to see it fail the way it did."

While the company was founded in Massachusetts, it moved to Rhode Island after the state’s Economic Development Corp. gave the company a $75 million loan in order to lure in 38 studios and create jobs. Schilling had said that 38 studios would bring 450 jobs to Rhode Island, according to Reuters.

Shilling and 13 other defendants are now being sued by the state in hopes of recovering some of the millions of dollars lost when 38 Studios went bankrupt.

However, the former head of the Rhode Island Economic Development Corp. accused the governor of forcing the company into bankruptcy last week by impeding potential restructuring of 38 Studio’s debt or fundraising, according to the Associated Press.

Meanwhile, a video game under development and intellectual property belonging to 38 Studios are set to go up for sale as well. Marketing of the game (code-named Copernicus) and other items began on Sept. 27, and an auction is tentatively scheduled for November.

More information on Saturday’s sale can be found here.

Curt Schilling’s Medfield Estate Sale Will Feature Hundreds Of Items

by Banker & Tradesman time to read: 2 min
0